| Today's Question and Answer In response to our question about whether you've ever taken an "unplugged" vacation or would in the future: William Webster, Florida I am a regular unplugged vacation-goer. My first experience was in 2011 in a single-room wooden cabin on the property of a monastery in the Bavarian Alps. The monks rent it out on a weekly basis, and they have a 12-month waiting list. The silence, the austerity, the solitude had an unexpected effect on me: It made me face myself, which was simultaneously wonderful and horrifying. In an age when connectivity is in oversupply, solitude and mindfulness grow in demand. Heather Hoyt, Utah My husband works in recreation and his work charges $140 a night for a yurt. They fill up most nights and he could probably charge more. I prefer tent camping, as it is much more affordable. But my favorite reason to camp is to see lots of new places, not to simply get away from my life and do nothing. I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to unplug: We regularly unplug at home, turning off the TV and putting down our phones and enjoying what is around us. People sometimes will spend exorbitant amounts of money when they can find beauty, solitude, and peace in their own backyard. Philip Burger, Missouri In a word: Philmont, in Cimarron, N.M. I've been twice as an adult leader. It's not costly, but you need to be a Scout volunteer. Backpacking trips are 12 days (plus any travel to and from). Taking a cell phone or tablet on the trail is worthless weight. As someone told me on the last trip, it's the most physically challenging, emotionally cleansing vacation he's ever had. Joan Lieberman, New York I must admit, I have trouble understanding why people have to travel to remote areas and pay extra to have an "unplugged vacation." I spent my summers growing up with parents who decided no TV in the beach house. We played games, read, took walks into town for ice cream and hung out. Now, as an adult, if I go away and want to unplug, I tell work that if you need to reach me urgently, call me; I will not be checking email. And if I didn't want to carry my cell phone, I'd leave the hotel information and leave my cell phone in the room. I think if you're a bit older (like me in my 50s), you remember how an unplugged vacation used to happen. I don't think it's where you go, it's your mental determination to really unplug and quiet that compulsive FOMO feeling that makes you want to check your phone on a regular basis. Matthew Sherman, Illinois Never gone on an unplugged vacation, but willing to come to people's homes to take their phone and other electronics away from them. Charge is $500/night. I have a good fence...uh...oops. Okay, this is kind of a permanent solution for those who REALLY want to unplug. Question for tomorrow's 10-Point: Going back to our story about high-end diapers, would you invest in greener alternatives if it meant paying a premium, considering the volume of diapers a family goes through? Why or why not? Email us your comments, which we may edit before publication, to 10point@wsj.com, and make sure to include your first and last name and location. |
Comments
Post a Comment